Question
Posted by: Ria | 2005/11/21

No supper

Would it be very harmful if i ate a balanced breakfast and lunch, two small snacks inbetween but did not eat after 4pm every day or maybe every 2nd day? I also do 40 min of cardio (fast walking and cycling) 5 days of the week at around 4:30 pm. I do not want to eat supper thereafter, will the fast until the morning's breakfast be too much and cause any insulin problems perhaps. I just want to do this until i have lost weight? then i will introduce a small balanced supper.

My diet is as follows:
Breakfast: 1 x fat free yoghurt and a hand full of weigh less muesli

10:00 1x banana/apple

Lunch: Chicken/Fish/Lean Meat, Veg and maybe green salad

15:00 1 x weigh less cup a soup/3 provitas and 3 slices weigh less cheese or an apple/peach/naartjie
2 litres of water everyday, 1 green tea, occasionally a cappucino as a treat. I will introduce more carbs once the weight is off (9kg to go). I am not on weigh less just use their products.

Do you think with the exercise i can loose a kg a week? and pls comment on the no supper approach?

Dear Ria
Generally speaking it is important to have a light supper even if you exercise (eat pasta with tuna or vegetables or a boiled egg, etc). The reason is that if you starve yourself of food from 3pm on day 1 to breakfast on day 2 and then eat only a most minimalistic breakfast at that, then your blood sugar levels get so low that you may not function properly. Rather have a light supper than to starve for 16 hours or more. Your diet as such is also rather unbalanced and I would advise you not to use it for long (1-2 weeks) as you may develop a calcium deficiency among others. You should lose that kg per week, unless your body decides that you are starving it and shuts down its weight loss systems (one of the hazards of starvation diets). I would rather recommend a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) which you can combine with your exercise.

1
Posted by: anni | 2005/11/21

I don't think it is a good idea, as you will just be slowing down your metabolism with the long stretch between 15:00 and bfast the next morning.

Reply to anni