Question
Posted by: adele | 2007/05/14

no sugar diet

I am 1.61m tall and weigh 56kg. I just want to lose a kg or 2, or maybe even just tone up a bit. I have started jogging a few weeks back, but I am not losing weight. If I cut out refined sugars from my diet (like sugar in my coffee/tea, sugary breakfast cereals), will I lose weight? I eat healthy, lots of whole grains and salads/veggies. My only problem is my sweet tooth, but I've heard that one can learn to overcome this addiction. Will I get some sort of sugar withdrawel symptoms? And will it be bad for my body to cut out these sugars?

Dear Adele
Your present BMI = 21,6, which is absolutely ideal for your height and I do not recommend that you lose any additional weight. By all means go jogging to firm up your body and improve your overall health, but don't cut out any of your foods, not even the sugar because you really don't need weight loss at this stage. Sugar only contains 16 kJ per gram, so it is much lower than fat (37 kJ per gram - quite a difference) and because it is a carbohydrate it will provide fuel for your jogging so that you can do plenty of exercise without getting tired or lethargic.
Leave your diet as it is.