Question
Posted by: Please help | 2007/04/20

no sperm

Good afternoon Dr.

Dr. can you please help, I would like to know if we can do anything to change the fact that no sperm could be detected with my husband.

At the end of last year he did have a very low count, this changed to none according to a Biopsy done. His FSH is very high - showing that his testosterone is very low and as a result he is not producing any sperm.

We do not want to look at donar sperm at this point and want to first explore any possible options to improve his situation.

Can you please give us advice?

Dear Please help

Unfortunately, in general if the testis biopsy does not detect any sperm the outlook or prognosis is extremely poor. However, the fact that some sperm or be it a very low count was detected a year ago may suggest that the testicular failure is of fairly recent onset. Therefore I would perhaps consider the use of FSH suppressing agents such as zoladex or even lucrin and maintain the suppression for at least one and a half to two months. This can then be followed up with a form of testicular stimulation and a repeat testis biopsy can be done a month or two later or even a routine sperm analysis can be done shortly thereafter. It would be extremely important that the specimen be analysed by a laboratory capable of dealing with fertility issues so as to freeze the specimen immediately if either sperm or precursors of sperm are noted. It is possible to mature sperm precursors in a laboratory environment and these can then be used for ICSI procedures.