Question
Posted by: lira | 2005/11/28

no sex at all

my husband tested positive, and he is now on TB treatment. is his status preventing him from having sex? ever since he found out he cant get an erection and the thing is he really wants to have sex BUT there is no erection is this normal? its 2 months now.. please help

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Lira!

This must be a devistating and frustrating situation for both you and your husband.

I believe that his inability to have an erection has nothing to do with the TB treatment, but rather with psychological factors, e.g. fear of hurting you or a sense of guilt about having contracted the virus. It is not uncommon for men to suffer from erectile disfunction when under stress, even when they are conciously aware of the desire to have sex.

I strongly recommend counselling for both of you. A sexologist would be ideal, while someone to deal with any specific HIV-related issues could also help to aleviate stress, thereby restoring your husband's ability to have an erection.

In sex therapy, it is often necessary for both partners to work as a team. Be prepared to support your husband in this way. Depending on the Sexologist's treatment programme for your husband, you may be asked to be an active partner in helping to restore full physical intimacy to your marriage.

All of the best!
Laurent