Question
Posted by: Monko | 2004/11/22

No sense of smell

I've never had a sense of smell, have sinuses - and hayfever - Is the anything that can be done to help me.

Monko, not being able to smell is called anosmia. Although sinusitis is a common cause of anosmia, it’s not the only cause. Congenital anosmia occurs as part of Kallmann’s syndrome, but you didn’t mention any other problems, so I don’t think it’s the problem. The causes of anosmia can be sub-divided under the following headings:
1. Swelling/obstruction in the nasal passages
2. Damage to the olfactory neuroepithelium by viruses, drugs, systemic disease or tumours
3. Damage to the olfactory nerve by head trauma, intracranial surgery, infections or tumours
If the ear, nose and throat specialist can’t find a reason for it, you will have to look at the other options. The next specialist to see would be a specialist physician and then maybe a neurologist. Good luck.