Question
Posted by: MINI ME | 2003/03/11

NO PERIODS

HI

I AM JUST A LITTLE WORRIED HERE - I DONT HAVE MY PERIODS - I HAVE NOT HAD FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS - I AM NOT PREGNANT AS I AM NOT SEXUALLY ACTIVE - NEVER HAVE BEEN
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS - I STARTED MY PERIOD WHEN I WAS 7 AND UP UNTIL 17 I WAS REGULAR - NOW I AM IRREGULAR - I AM A DIABETIC AS WELL - DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING WITH NOT GETTING MY PERIOD - SOMEONE AT WORK SAYS THAT THIS MEANS I AM NOT OVULATING WHICH MEANS I COULD NOT HAVE A CHILD IF I WANTED TO AND THAT I MUST CHECK IT OUT - MY DOCTOR HAS ALWAYS TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY - I ONLY SEEM TO GET MY PERIOD WHEN I AM ON THE PILL - DONT KNOW WHAT IS IS CALLED BUT IT IS RED AND WHITE PILLS - I HAVE NOT HAD THESE FOR YEARS - AT LEAST NOT 5 YEARS - IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME - OTHER THAN GETTING THOSE PILLS AGAIN IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO - EVEN THOUGH I AM ENJOYING NOT HAVING IT AT ALL I WOULD LIKE CHILDREN ONE OF THESE DAYS - I AM 28 AND A TYPE 1 DIABETIC AND I TAKE INSULIN 3 TIMES A DAY

HELP

There are a number of causes for not having periods. From what you describe, the most likely reason in your case is polycystic ovarian syndrome. THe problem here is that you do not ovulate. This condition is often associated with insulin resistance. You should see your doctor to check whether this is the case. If so, there are drugs that can be used to stimulate ovulation. In the meantime, it would be important to take the oral contraceptive pill so that you get sufficient oestrogen.