Question
Posted by: yo-yo | 2004/10/28

No period 3 months after birth

Hi there doc,

I gave birth on 25-07-2004. Up to today there is still no sign of my period. Is this normal?

Regards.

If you are still breastfeeding, this could be causing your periods to stay away.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/28

If you are demand breastfeeding your baby then this usually supresses ovulation, so you don't have a period. Some women start their periods about 8 weeks after giving birth, and then it ranges right up to about the average of 9 months (for women breast feeding).

If you are bottle feeding, your periods probably return as soon as all the pregnancy hormones are out of your body and you ovulate again.

Remember that even if you are breastfeeding you can fall pregnant, as you don't know if you have ovulated or not, as you ovulate about two weeks before a period, so you can't really rely on breastfeeding alone as a contraceptive.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: rene | 2004/10/28

If you are breastfeeding and not on any contraceptives that is very normal. I didn't get a period for the whole 7 months that I breast fed. When I stopped feeding it came back after a month.

Hope this helps.
rene

Reply to rene