Posted by: sue | 2009/05/26

no medical aid

I have no medical aid how do i go about getting a diagnosis i live in nelspruit i have been told there is no pyshciatirst at the local hospital Ferreira hosp.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive


Dear Sue

You may consider visiting your local clinic or general practitioner first to have a basic assessment done.

You can do a Mood Disorder Questionnaire (MDQ) - search for it in Google and you can then download the PDF document. If you answer yes to 7 or more of the 13 questions, yes to the question whether the symptoms occurred at the same time and it caused you significant distress, you may have bipolar disorder. Please note though that the MDQ is a gross screening tool only and cannot make a definite diagnosis. For this you must see a health practitioner.

To the best of my knowledge there is a psychiatrist at your hospital, but that person might have left. Have you contacted the hospital directly?

You may also ask for psychologists at your local clinic or hospital.

Good luck!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.