Question
Posted by: bbi083 | 2004/10/15

No libido

Since i Got married to my wife 1 year ago I had no sex with my wife. This is not on my part but hers. She is on hormone treatment to help her periods on. I can not penetrate her or get her worked up for sex. What can the problem be

Painful penetration is often called vaginismus, and is experienced as a strong, involuntary tightening of your vaginal muscles — a spasm of the outer third of your vagina which makes entrance by a finger, tampon, speculum or penis acutely painful. Vaginismus can be your body's defense against a sexual stimulation you can't handle or don't want to be in. It can also be the result of a bad sexual experience, such as rape or childhood sexual abuse.

Vaginismus can be treated successfully by a variety of methods, including sex therapy, psychotherapy, and hypnotherapy. Try reading more about vaginismus in When a Woman's Body Says No to Sex: Understanding and Overcoming Vaginismus, by Linda Valins (New York: Viking Penguin, 1992), and in The New Sex Therapy, by Helen S. Kaplan (New York: Brunner-Mazel, 1974).

Whatever the cause, if lovemaking is at all painful, don't be a martyr, trying to bear with it. Take an active stance in your own sexual pleasure by talking with a sex therapist, reading about the condition, and trying to make changes. Until the problem is solved, be creative and figure out ways to make love without penetration. That way, you can still give and receive pleasure while you are working things out.

For a referral to a sex therapist in your area, contact the SA Sexual Health Association on 0860 100 262

At the DISA clinic we make use of Biofeedback and EMG to teavh her control over her pelvic floor muscles. You can call Glenda at the clinic on (011) 787 - 1222

Good Luck
Dr Elna McIntosh