Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2006/11/10

NO LH SIDE OVARY

During 2001 i had an abortion and after doing it i decided to go for Nur-Isterate,i've been on the injection since then but in between i would stop and use the morning after pill.so now i've stopped using everything since last year October,MY PERIODS ARE NORMAL but the problem is that i cant fall pregnant.i went to visit a Prof(GYNAE) he did sonar and the results were that he cant see my LHS ovary and that my womb is small.i then went for Laproscopy and the result were,RHS fallobian tube is blocked and my LHS FALLOBIAN is dilated AND NO OVARY.So i have to go for another operation to cut the RHS fallobian tube AND CREATE A PROPER OVARY ON THE RHS and detect any Sickness and put it back.He is afraid that whatever sickness i have could end up infecting my RHS.RESULTING IN INFERTILITY MY CORCERN IS THAT ISN'T THERE ANOTHER METHOD THAT COULD BE USED SO THAT I CAN CONCEIVE, and how much is one expected to pay? is my medical aid going to cover for such EXPENSES?PLEASE HELP.I VE POSTED AGAIN WITH MY NICK ,I USED TO BE ANON

Dear Ingrid

I refer you to previous posting number 561, with a similar problem. The added complication of a damaged fallopian tube on the same side as the remaining ovary poses a very serious negative effect on your fertility. I would recommend that Invitro fertilisation be considered at this stage and despite the cost factor which varies between R12 000 to R18 000, I believe that this would be the most suitable treatment option for you. There are very few medical aids that pay for such treatment, unless by special motivation by your fertility specialist.