Posted by: Candy C | 2008/08/26

No hope!!!

Im going to start from the beginning, as this can perhaps help you in giving me the correct answer.

I am rather short and was 30kg overweight, I started with Leanor and was on it for approx. 2 years non stop. I lost 36 kg, then I began with heart palpitations, and got very weak, I couldn' t even walk. Dr' s discovered I have Hyperthyroidsm in a very bad degree, I was given Radio Active Iodine and since my whole thyroid was infected it burned most of the over actice parts. I was placed on 1mcg Eltroxin a day, I have picked up 40kg since then - in about 2 years, my legs are still hurting and feels weak so it makes it almost impossible to excersice. Is it my weight that' s affecting my legs? Could it be my thyroid? Im not loosing any weight - im at my withs end, can I use Leanor again to try and loose the weight - what can I use. I am desperate and it feels like my doctor just don' t care. He just listens with no actual advice. I wan' t to be healthy and slim and not being either is causing my to be so depressed. I have now given up on eatiing properly as it doesn' t seem to help. Please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Candy C
I am so sorry to hear that you were hooked on Leanor for 2 years and that it had such a devastating effect on your general health. You should under NO circumstances start taking Leanor or any other over-the-counter slimming products - you have enough damage as it is. I would recommend that you do 2 things: 1) Consult an Endocrinologist (a medical dr who has specialised in hormone disturbances) because you need someone to sort out your thyroid medication (you may need to change your dose) and to determine if you are not also suffering from other hormonal imbalances (e.g. insulin resistance) and to find out why your legs are so sore and weak; 2) Consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assist you by working out a slimming diet for you that is based on the findings of the Endocrinologist (you may require a low-GI diet and certain adjustments depending on the findings).
Hang in there

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.