Question
Posted by: bonnie | 2007/04/13

no fetal heart beat at 7 weeks. please help!

hi there,

I went for my first intravaginal ultrasound yesterday at 7w0d. we saw a gestational sack, the yolk sack and also the fetal pole, but no fetal heart beat. I think I might be only 6w5d, but definitely not less then that. The dr said I should not worry we will rescan next week, but if there is no heart beat next week, then I will miscarry.
Has anyone of you experienced no fetal heart beat this late, read on the net that normally you can see the heartbeat at 6w already. Is there hope that my baby will survive? please help?
thanks
bonnie

Expert ImageForumArchive

Typically the fetal heartbeat can be seen after 6 weeks during a fetal ultrasound. This is not a set number and there is variation between patients. Statistics show that a fetal heart rate below 85bpm between 6 and 8 weeks markedly increases the risk of spontaneous abortion, so there is a possibility that the fetus may have aborted.

All pregnancies do not grow at the same rate - it is possible that a heartbeat may be found during your next appointment. In one study, the first trimester survival rate was 62 percent among 531 embryos with slow early fetal heart rates (less than 100 bpm at less than 6.2 weeks, less than 120 bpm at 6.3 to 7.0 weeks).

Follow up with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Health Admin

6
Posted by: bonnie | 2007/04/13

thank you all so much for your valuable input. I will keep hoping and love "my 2 cents" story. thanks a lot
bonnie

Reply to bonnie
Posted by: S-p | 2007/04/13

I have no experience in this matter, but I am thinking of you - all the best, and hope you get a positive scan next week!

Reply to S-p
Posted by: Kippie | 2007/04/13

We also saw no heartbeat at around 6 weeks when I first went to the doctor. I was in total distress and asked the dr to do a blood test where they see if the cells have multiply, that way indicating that the pregnancy is still feasible.
I had it on the friday morning and then again exactly 24 hours later, so that was Sunday. By monday morning the dr phoned with the good news that the cells had become more, therefore indicating that the fetus was in fact growing.
I had a scan on the following thursday again and there was the beautifull heartbeat and that little angel will be 3 years in May.

So maybe phone your dr today and aks to get the bloodtest done so you at least know what is going for what.

All the best!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Lynette | 2007/04/13

I don't want to give you bad news but last year i was pregnant as well went for first scan was suppose to be 9 weeks but scan said 4 so i had to wait 2 weeks dr did another scan still no heartbeat the baby stopped developing and dr did an d&c. But my gynae was worried from beginning so if yours said not to worry just relax i really hope everything will turn out for the best for you and you will have a healthy baby. Good luck

Lynette
14w5d

Reply to Lynette
Posted by: Wenz | 2007/04/13

Hi Bonnie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have had five mc's and every time it hasnt had a heartbeat from early on. However, that said, it is possible that the internal scan just could not pinpoint the exact place of the heartbeat which is very tiny and easy to miss because it moves around as well. So its possible that its there, the gynae just couldnt find it. My only suggestion is that if the gynae isnt worried, then you shouldnt be either. Just relax (or try) and rest a lot and dont do anything that might hurt yourself like lifting heavy boxes or anything, just take it as easy as you can. And good luck!

Reply to Wenz
Posted by: my 2 cents | 2007/04/13

hi there - don't know if this will hel p- my first scan was at 7 weeks pregancy (which is 5 weeks gestational age, because pregnancy is calculated from first day of last menstrual period). so they couldn't pick up heart beat. my next scan was at 9 weeks (7 weeks gestational age) and then there was a heartbeat. so don't worry until you have gone for a second scan

Reply to my 2 cents