Question
Posted by: bonnie | 2007/04/12

no fetal hear beat at 7 weeks

dear dr

i am 7 weeks pregant today and had my first intravaginal ultrasound. the dr could see the yolk sack in the uterus and also the fetus, but could not detect a fetal heart beat. he asked us to come in again next week for another scan. I had the first day of my last period exactly 7 weeks ago and I know that I ovulated on cd 15 since I used an LH test, therefore I dont think that the fetus should be younger than we think.
is it still possible that everything will be alright or is this a sign of an impending miscarriage?
please help.
bonnie

Unfortunately it could be a sign of miscarriage.

1
Posted by: Melz | 2007/04/12

If the gynae asked you too come back next week I think there is still hope. Normally the Heartbeat can be detected by 7 weeks but there may be factors preventing it coming through. If he measured the foetus he should have the age of it and know if it's developed up to what a 7 week old would have, and that's a good sign. I went at 8 weeks and heard it so better to wait a week to see.
Good luck I can imagine you must be worried.

Reply to Melz