Question
Posted by: C | 2008/02/05

no feeling in legs linked to lack of sleep?

I've been REALLY stressed out lately (with wedding planning) so I tend to struggle to fall asleep at night. Recently my legs have started becoming numb at night when I want to sleep.It happens almost immediately after I get into bed so its not because I'm laying wrong. its really uncomfortable! does anyone know why this is happening?

Dear C
Numbness in the extremities is usually caused by nerves pinching in the back, or diseases of the peripheral nervous system like diabetes or peripheral neuropathy. With your history of being a bit anxious, it could maybe be a symptom of Restless legs syndrome - a condition that is characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's legs to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations in the legs especially at night when you go to bed. I suggest you ask your GP to examine you for nerve compression or peripheral neuropathy and test your iron levels and if he finds nothing wrong, to give you something to relax you at night.