Posted by: no energy | 2008/10/20

No energy

Hey Ross

I have been doing cardio Monday and Wednesday 1hr and 30 minutes and light weight training on Friday, really want to include light weight training on tuesday as well, but dont seem to have any energy. I am struggling already through the cardio sessions, even on days when I just do an hour cardio (v-box, steps and body-con) . What could it be? I have been eating well balanced diet and sit behind desk all day, not too stressful. I train regularly and push myself through when i am tired but it doesnt feel right to me that person is always tired

HI there

Difficult to say. It requires some more detailed detective work to figure out just what the specific problem might be. For one example, it might be that your balanced diet is not "timed" correctly. Perhaps you are just not eating at the right times, and the result is that you are doing you training say 4 or 5 hours after eating, and experiencing a later afternoon lull. It could also be that the type of food you're eating is not helping, perhaps it causes your blood glucose levels to fall later on in the day.

Alternatively, your total energy intake per day might be a little on the low side - it maywell be balanced, but might just be under-volume. Finally, there is a chance you're just training too hard, and your body needs you to step down a level and give it a chance to adapt and recover, and then build up more gradually. I think the best course of action would be to see a dietician and make sure that energy intake is optimal, because as you can tell, this is where most of the problems seem to lie.

That should help a great deal. In the mean time, back off the training a little - you can still do the sessions, but lower the intensity, and try to complete 2 weeks of training where you can easily finish the sessions, and then see if that helps.