Question
Posted by: VERY DESPONDENT | 2004/10/19

no difference

Hi Diet doc,

Last year I got divorced and used the period of immense pain,
and loss of appetite, to lose weight, I lost 15 kilos, and wore
a tight size 34 and very lose 36.

I am not hurting anymore and even found love again, however,
I've gained 7 kilos and am now a tight 36.

I then decided to go on my own diet and i need to know if this is healthy.

Breakfast
1 Glass of Fruit shake
(5 strawberries, hand full of green grapes, two canderel tablets,
1 apple & 250ml fat free milk, 250ml water in a blender)

Lunch
1 Glass of fruit shake

Supper
low fat meals, ie. fish & veges no starch or
steak and salad, etc.
or 1 soup spoon of pasta with ham

1.250 litre of water
2 cups of coffee, no milk, canderel

I have been doing this for 2 weeks, I feel lighter but no apparent
weight loss, I am so scared to get on a scale,

and I am terrified that my appearance now is totally unappealing.
I can't fit into a normal size 36 and I am devastated, this is becoming an obsession. Pleas help. Why is it taking so long to see a difference?

Dear Despondent
Although all the foods you are using in this diet are basically healthy, the diet as such is not and it is also too minimalistic. It is an ironic fact that the human body often switches off its weight loss systems when faced by 'starvation'. I would recommend that you use a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet and some regular exercise to achieve your weight loss (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet). I am, however, worried that your approach to dieting, weight loss and your body image is unbalanced. It is possible that losing such a large amount of weight when you got divorced gave you a hold over your life - you were in charge of this aspect, despite not being able to prevent the divorce and the pain. Now you equate gaining weight with losing control and only feel in charge and confident if you are very thin. If you cannot control this situation then it may also be a good idea to consult a clinical psychologist. Clinical psychologists are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you. He/she will help you to work out what underlying psychological problems are causing this reaction and help you to cope with them and the past trauma in your life.

1
Posted by: Gogga | 2004/10/19

I will help you babes,I promise you starting today!

Reply to Gogga