Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2007/03/05

No Carbs No Sugar, Hi Protein & Fat Diet

Hi there,
I've been on this diet for 1 and a half months and wondering the long term effects. You basically dont eat anything with carbs/startch or sugar, not even fruit can be eaten. I've lost 39cm all over but not weight in KG's. I also have an underactive thyroid and wondering if thats the reason why i'm not showing better weight loss results.

Dear Cindy
I am totally opposed to any diet that is high-protein and high-fat as I think the risks are just too great. Seeing that this diet does not work for you when it comes to weight loss per se, I would have a thyroid test done by the dr and ask him/her to adjust your dosage of Eltroxin or whatever thyroid hormone medication you are taking. The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine, but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. In your case where the diet does not seem to be working, I would advise that you see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Take care

3
Posted by: Cindy | 2007/03/07

Hi there,
Thanks for the feedback and new i shouldnt be following such a diet. I am on Eltroxin for my Thyroid and have been on it for +10 years. I'm trying to find a diet where i can loose some weight to get my BMI down to fall pregnant. I'm 30 years old and have about 10 kgs to loose! Its driving me crazy! I think i've also tried every diet out there. I know thats partly the problem cause i'm supposed to find one and stick to it! Now i've been told about a Dr Zip diet, they take your blood, drink a tonic and basically dont mix protein and carbs together. I have the Patrick Hollford book and so far have read from the forum that it seem sto be working. Maybe i should just read the book and give it a try!

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: karen | 2007/03/06

underactive thyroid will have a lot to do with it. Dont do these silly diets when you have a health problem, and a underactive thyroid is a problem, are you on medication for it, if not you should be !

Reply to karen
Posted by: anon | 2007/03/06

Your body cannot survive without carbs - you are doing more harm than good!

Reply to anon