Question
Posted by: Afraid | 2004/11/11

No accomplishment

I have no idea how to explain correctly my proble, I am do demotivated, it;'s killing me.
My whole life I have worked, at home after school I looked after my siblings and we all had to clean the house, do dishes, ironing and then our homework, and still attend to religion 3 times a week.
I used to work instead of go on holiday, companies love me for that, I was the only willing one to work over holidays when everybody else went away - I just enjoy getting things done. Or at least I used to. I am now married, and have a child, but my job is slowing down. I have next to nothing to do and I feel like I'm going backwards. I'm dying. There're giving me stupid things to, like filing, to keep me busy, or little recons, or little queries. But I'm not doign them anymore, I just read all the day, surf the net - BUT there's only so much of this a person can take - and I've tried to lok for other jobs but everyone is holding on for their bonuses at this time.
The most difficult thing is that this is effecting my whole life - and at home I'm slacking, I just don;t feel like working aymore. I just lounge around and do the minimal, and at work I actually cannot bring myself to do anythign anymore. I just can't concentrate / work / motivate myself to do anything! Now even if I got another job, would I eb able to do it, I am really so not interested... help, I'm scared. How do I get my motivation and energy back. I'm dying... help please, any suggestions would do, this is NOT me.

Well, it's nice to hear from someone old-fashioned enough, like myself, to actually want to work ! I find these days there seem to be many people wanting a job, but few wanting work. Of course I could say that counselling would help, as it would. But I wonder also if you could discuss this situation tactfully with the HR folks at your company, or with a boss or supervisor ? They may be staggered by meeting someone actually wanting more work, but should be able to work with you to find a solution.
Being underemployed, especially for someone used to working hard, as you are, is enervating ( nice word I don't get to use too often !) and dispiriting. But the effect shouldn't be lasting, once you can find more to keep yourself properly occupied.