Posted by: Boy | 2008/06/18

Nitrox- GOOD or BAD?!

I am 16 turning 17 this week. I am planning on taking nitrox as a gym supplement, is this not recommended for someone of my age or what are your opinions?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Boy

As from 17 years of age it is generally acceptable to start taking supplements and in my opinion not unnatural substances. I am not sure which product you will be taking however, Nitrox products usually increase the blood flow to the muscles to carry more nutrients thereto for growth.

If the product also contains arginine - it is known to increase Nitic Oxide (NO) which increases the blood flow to the working muscle. The increased nutrients like the amino acids usually have a positive growth effect on the muscles and natural hGH production.

Insulin is known to be a strong stimulator of the NO pathway, therefore you can consume a high GI carb drink e.g. powerade directly after training to stimulate an insulin response – if you then also take your liquid meal (protein & carbs) you will optimize the growth effect as well as recover at a better rate to again train better the following day.

Good luck!

Posted by: Boy | 2008/06/19

Thank you for your help Vanessa!

I am thinking of taking the Evox NtiroVox Supplement, herwith is attached the nutritional background with regards to the product:

BEWARE! Increased Nitric Oxide levels could cause increases in free radicals, which has been shown to overwhelm the tissue anti-oxidant defense systems that keeps you healthy. Free radical damage to tissue might lead to numerous health related disorders. To protect you against this free radical associated damage EVOX NitroVox was formulated in a sustained release complementary amino base to provide Alpha Lipoic Acid (the “perfect antioxidant”), to protect you against degenerative disease and free radical damage.

With the birth of EVOX NitroVox caplets creating the perfect environment for maximising your physique and physical performance, cultivating the rock hard chiselled physique you’ve always wanted, along with new found strength and stamina, just got a lot easier.

Extended Release

With Arginine-KIC & Ornithine-AKG

Maximum Nitric Oxide

Max Muscle Pump
Supplement Facts :
Serving size 3 caps
Servings per Container: 60
Nutritional information:
NitroVox- Pepretual NO Delivery System
(from L-Arginine, L-Ornitihine, Alpha Ketoglutarate, Pyroglutamate)
3000 mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 25 mg
Amino SDM (from Whey Hydrolisates, Methylcellulose) 430 mg

Ingredients: L-Arginine, L-Arginine Pyroglutamate, L-Ornitihine, Alpha Ketoglutarate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Whey Protein Hydrolisates, Methylcellose, Colloidal Silicone Dioxide, Stearic Acid.

Scientifically formulated in a complementary Amino Acid pH controlled sustained release delivery system, to ensure maximim absorption, and dramatically increased nitric oxide production.

Dosage instructions and directions for use:

Dosage Instructions and Directions for use:
Take three (3) caplets twice daily, first thing in the morning and in the early afternoon. For maximum efficacy drink at least 2 litres of water per day.

Do not use if you are pregnant or breast feeding, diabetic, or suffer from low blood pressure. Consult with a physician if you are being treated for any medical condition.

So basically, are you saying that it is alright for me to take this supplement? Will it not maybe have a negative affect on my health, the older I become? Also, with regards to the 'BEWARE!' on the top half of the product description, is this a serious matter?

Reply to Boy