Question
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2007/11/28

NIGHTMARES - 3 YEAR OLD

Hi Doc.

My daughter truned 3 in September and she has been experiencing nightmares. It is not every night but sometimes twice or three times a week. Sometimes it is about spiders and big dogs chasing her, sometimes it is the police or strangers chasing her.

The creche have spoken and teach the kids about strangers, friends or family who touch you by your privates and how this is wrong, and also about people who kidnap kids. I have friends whose kids are in the same creche and their kids are not expereincing this.

is it normal for her to expereinece these nightmares so often and what can I do about it?

It probably is normal, though bothersome. Some kids are more affected than others by such warnings. Some seem to file away the advice in a more intellectual way, others respond more emotionally to recognizing that there are such risks in the world, and for a time will be over-aware of the dangers of the world. Take it calmly, and discuss with her all the risks or fears she is expressing, taking them respectfully, but trying to help her get them into proportion, and to see how she can effectively respond to such situations. I think sometimes the creche's and others talk about the risk, without necessarily empowering the child to feel that they can do things to protect themselves, and not to feel so helpless.

1
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2007/11/28

Thanks - your reply is a great help.

I will discuss some solutions should a problem like that arise and see how she reponds to this.

Thank you!

Reply to Tinkerbell