Question
Posted by: Babz | 2004/11/01

Nightmare

Hi! My daughter is almost 5 years old, and she is an only child, she has been sleeping in her own room for years already, but we moved into a new house, and she has nightmares every night. She wakes up and refuses to go back to her own bed. She is scared out of her wits...what can I do to make her feel at ease? She listens to stories and music when she goes to bed, and falls asleep calmly and then wakes up in a frenzy. I take her around the house and I show her how I lock all the doors and safety doors, I even open all the cupboards and move furniture to show het that no one is inside the house and no one can come in, but to no avail. What to do?

Could be related to still feeling unsettled in the new house, and perhaps to nightmares, or night terrors ( where they don't remember the content of the frightening dream) which can arise around this age and for no apparent reason, and then go as mysteriously as they arrived. have you asked her to chat about what she finds frightening ?What she is thinking about when frightened ? If this persists, then a child psychiatrist ./child psychologist ought to be able to help.

3
Posted by: Babz | 2004/11/02

Thanks Shaun, I try ... but at times it is really trying ... ?, I did cleanse the house before we moved in, so I doubt that it would be the problem ... How long should I give it before consulting a professional ?

Reply to Babz
Posted by: ? | 2004/11/01

Not sure what your religion is, but maybe your daughter just needs to see you do a house cleansing/blessing... you can get a priest to do it, or you can burn candles, incense, ring bells in each room... pray out loud to clean your house of any negative energy from previous owners, and to keep your family safe.

Reply to ?
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/01

Hi Babz,

It does sound like you need professional assistance on this regard.
I would like to take this opportunity to offer a suggestion though. You can maybe at first allow her to sleep in your room, but her own bed, then gradually work on moving her to her own room again.

I must also commend you on your approach & patience with this issue thus far.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun