Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/06/08

Night Time Asthma Becoming Tiresome

I was diagnosed with asthma as a very young child. My allergies as well as cardio exercise contributed to the asthma. I was diagnosed with a whole list of allergies. I was put on a special diet for the allergies and wasn’t allowed pets ECT, to control the allergies, and was supposed to use asthma medication everyday. I stuck to neither, and still managed to lead a normal life so to speak. When new pets where introduced to the home I was ill for a week or two until I built up a resistance.
After leading a normal life for many years, with only occasional asthma that was not serious, I started having very bad night time attack sometime last year. I have been suffering with asthma ever since, and would like to find some kind of solution.
Here are areas of my life that could be affecting my asthma and what I am trying to do about it. Please could you give me advice on these areas? Everyone around me has there own ideas of what is causing my asthma, but I would like a more professional opinion, information and advice.
After my serious attacks began, my doctor put me on a preventative inhaler. I cannot recall the name. I also had Genasma pills to take as needed.
While the inhaler helped to some extent, I felt tight chested after taking it, and had no other inhaler to use when an attack occurred. As for the Genasma pills, they work fantastic, that is once the lungs are clear they stay that way for quite a few hours, however the side effects of the pills, such as heart palpitations, shaking, thirst, ECT, quite frankly put me off of taking them unless absolutely necessary.
I stopped using the inhaler when it was finished and have replaced it with the Ventese inhaler. I found the effects of this inhaler immediate, but not lasting. I also find that drinking a lot of coffee helps when I am suffering from asthma.
I am a smoker. I began smoking at the age of thirteen and am coming up for my twenty fourth birthday. I have varied from a light to heavy smoker over the years. Last year after the attacks started I made attempts to stop smoking, which failed. I am now smoking a much lighter cigarette and try to smoke as little as possible. I realize I need to stop, and I very badly want to, as I know I am damaging my health.
I am surrounded by smokers at work and at home. It is very difficult to get them to smoke outside, especially if you’ve been a smoker most of your life and permitted them to smoke in your home.
I have been working in the motor industry for four years now. I am surround buy fumes and smoke from vehicles a lot of time. The role up doors of the workshop are left open most of time, and during the windy months I am stuck sitting in a draft, which I think contributes to my yearly bronchitis in winter.
Last year I adopted a kitten, who had no home. For the first few weeks I suffered from sinusitis and wheezing, but afterwards it seemed that I had built up a sufficient resistance to my new pet. Some of my family and friends still have concerns about my cat affecting my asthma, so as a precaution I wash him every evening to remove excess dust ECT.
Last year before my asthma attacks started, my flat was flooded after a heavy rainstorm. I was away at the time, but neighbors told me that the water came in through the foundations. My landlady sent people around to quote her on cleaning up and replacing the carpets, but nothing ever got done. My bedroom and lounge are not well ventilated and do not receive any sunlight. I have been wondering for a while now, if there is not damp and mould underneath the carpeting.
Should I get someone in to check for mould and damp, or pull up a section of the carpeting myself?
I mostly suffer from asthma at night, which has resulted in me being tired most of the time. I don’t feel I should have to be on medication every day of my life, but if that is what it’s going to take then I guess I have no choice, but I would prefer to identify my asthma trigger and remove it from my everyday life if possible. I am especially concerned with the possibility of damp and mould in my bedroom.
I think that covers it. My apologies for the lengthly explanations, but I would really like to get to the bottom of my asthma.

Kind Regard

Worried

Dear Worried
I think you should see a pulmonologist and have a lung function test. Your asthma needs to be prevented as well as treated. One can use an inhaled cortisone every 12 hours to stabilize and prevent asthma, with or without a long acting bronchodilator. Then one can use a short acting bronchodilator as needed.

It may be worth your while to ask the doctor to do an allergic or skin allergy test on you - this will identify possible triggers and may help you to pinpoint possible problem areas.

See http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/asthmatriggersandmgmt.stm