Question
Posted by: ME | 2004/01/09

Night sweats

I suffer terribly from night sweats. It does not matter if it is hot or cold, winter of summer. I have been to my GP and he tested for AIDS, TB, thyroid and diabeties all of which came back negative. He could not give me a explination as to what it could be. Do you have any suggestions. This is very disruptive as I wake up during the night soaking wet and freezing, sometimes more than once a night. It realy interferes with my sleep and makes me tired. I must add that I have had this problem since I was about 13 and am now 30

Expert ImageArchive

Night sweats indicate to changes in body temperature control and can be related to infection (which has been ruled out), metabolism (partly ruled out) and neural (still a question).
If your night sweats have been so present for so long it is unlikely malaria or other infection especially without other symptoms. Thyroid could still be a cause, since the thyroid tests will only pick up definate thyroid hormonal disease, and in this case it could be a mild disturbance with a related disturbance in the nervous system. If you are generally a nervous-stress thriving individual, it may be that your automatic nervous system that switches over during sleep is out of balance. You may want to check this out, it could improve with a basic exercise and relaxation program. Also there are natural remedies that assist the body to relax and promote a proper sleep cycle, such as passiflora, magnesium, and calcium.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)