Posted by: Jan | 2009/10/07

Nickle in Blood

Sons blood tests show an abnormal level of nickle in his blood. He has seen a physician who was unable to help him or even give him advice. Must we be concerned and if so what treatment is there? His work involves working with metals like copper and bronze.



Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Jan
Nickle is a stable element that won't break down - does he work with it on a daily basis? It can be treated by chelation therapy - administering a chemical that will bind with the nickle and remove it from the body. For the treatment of acute poisoning from the inhalation of nickel, sodium diethyldithiocarbamate (Dithiocarb) is used as a specific antidote; tetraethylthiuram (Antabuse) is effective to a lesser degree; d-penicillamine and dimercaprol (BAL) have limited therapeutic value.
See also
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.