Question
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/26

NEXT INSTALMENT

CS

Finally I have a diagnosis from my vascular surgeon - he said on Tues that given what my gp has already ruled out, there were 2 options left, namely venous reflux, or primary lymphoedema. My doppler scan I had today has now ruled out venous reflux, which apparently was the more worrying of the 2 options left.

Therefore I have now the only option left, namely the lymphoedema, which he says will only be confirmed by the lymphoscintigram I am having on Wed. Then the treatment starts! I have to have lymph massage (whatever that is!, is it done by a special person?) 3x a week, those support stockings and maybe a pump of some sort. All this will be discussed when I go on Wed and I plan to also ask him what could have caused this.

So it looks like I am in the final stretch! I am so happy you have no idea. Why? Because I now finally have something to work on, its not life-threatening etc and I can now start dealing with the problem!

Will report on the final (hopefully) instalment Thurs. He reckons I will be at the Nuclear Medicine dept (where I am having the procedure) all pm Wed.

Hmmm. As Marshall McLuhan, former celebrity once almost said, the medium is the massage. I remember after a leg injury years ago in the USA, I had some leg swelling and they used a foprm of pump called the Jobst Boot, icy cold, and putting increasing squeeze on the leg then relaxing and then re-applying the pressure. I wonder which form you will encounter.
Isn't it so clear, as you describe so well, how it becomes easier to cope with ANYTHING once one knows what it is, and conversely how hard it is to cope with anything before we know what it is, and what it's extent will be ?
Take a really good book or two on Wednesday to pass the time, and I hope it all works out well.

2
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/26

Thanks a lot RMC! He said it wont be that bad! I have to admit I am not looking forward to it - they inject the dye in between your toes! And it can take up to 3 hrs, depending on how each patient reacts to the procedure. I was initially under the impression that I was going to have that done today too, but I seem to get things all mixed up - you have to book them in advance because they have to get all the stuff ready etc. I have to be there by 12 on Wed. Anyway I plan to do just as you said, have a good weekend and deal with it on Wed. I am just so happy I finally have something to work on you have no idea.

You have a good weekend too.

Reply to H25
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/26

All the best, let's hope that they don't make you glow in the dark!

Have a good weekend and don't think about it until the day, okay?

Reply to RMC