Posted by: worried mom | 2008/06/19

new surgery to correct back curvature

On 18.06.08 I sen on TV a new procedure, a first in SA.

Surgically implanting some sort of titanium rod to the rib cage to straighten the back.

My son age 22 has very bad scoliosis, affecting his every day living, would this maybe be an option to persue? Who can one approach. The insert was so short and I did not catch names or anything but if there is hope out there I will do anything to restore my son's quality of life....

Many thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Worried Mom
The best person to consult is either a neurosurgeon specialising in back surgery, but I think this may also be done by an orthopaedic surgeon. Please ask your GP or the orthopaedic surgeon who you consulted when he was younger. They would know who in this Country does this. You can also contact the Orthopaedic Society for information on this - their e-mail address is

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.