Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/11/26

NEW STOCKING

When I had my normal blood tests recently (that's when I got sick with that nasty stomach bug I mentioned which I got the following day), isn't it possible the infection had already started setting in when I had my 1st blood test, i.e. I went on the Mon for the normal tests and only got sick during Mon night when I got the unbearable nausea and vomiting all night. When I went to see my gp that Tues am he phoned Lancet for Mon's results and my white blood coult was 11 100. Wasn't this already up on the normal count? When he did the blood count again when I phoned him for results Tues pm it was up again to over 13 000. I got the Zinnat 500mg for 7days - my gp always gives me interflora, I ask him for it if forgets, which isn't often.

I am struggling sooo much with my new stocking. I went the same day as when I went to my gp for my stocking upgrade. He did give me a script for the grade III stocking. Strangely enough its more comfortable. Putting it on is more of a mission, but taking it off is almost getting me in tears! Seriously, I cannot manage taking it off - I have tried buying the rubber gloves, but wrote then off they seem too big (I have small hands!), I have used baby powder - this doesnt seem to help much! HELP! Any ideas would be great!

Thanks for the help.

Hi Anxious
Up to 11000 is still considered "normal" for a WBC
Why are you battling to take the stockings off - is it too tight? Try using silicone lotion on your legs?

2
Posted by: anxious | 2007/11/27

Hi Cornel

I only (for the moment anyway thank goodness!) have to use it for my right leg - its full length with velcro belt right into the groin area. My vascular surgeon says hopefully I wont develop it in my left leg! He'd better be right! I couldn't face dealing with this with both legs! I have to wear it for the rest of my life - my lymphoedema is a chronic condition which cant be cured but can be controlled provided you follow all the prescribed treatment! If you stop the treatment, the swelling just returns and you can develop complications. I think I have finally figured out last night how to get it right! I need to roll the stocking right down and then pull it bit by bit from the front to get it off! The problem with this new one is its far, far thicker than my previous stocking (obviously, thats what it is supposed to be to increase the circulation), so its far more difficult to put on and take off. It was the taking off that has up to now been stressing me big time! But hopefully now I seemed to have mastered it! I will see again tonight!
Oh and Discovery refuse to pay for my Paroven medication I have to take 2x a day, neither on acute or chronic nor ex-gratia! Really helpful! It costs R340 a month!

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are getting somewhere with dealing with your heart troubles.

Have a good day.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/11/27

Hi Anxious! Glad to see you are still around. Ugh, those stockings sounds terrible and a real drag. How much longer do you have to wear them?

Reply to Cornel