Question
Posted by: Help | 2004/03/03

New running method

I have herad from a friend in Stellenbosch about a new running method called pose running or something that is supposed to help if you have chronic injuries. Do you know anything about this method at all, and where I can get information about it?

Yes I have heard about it - it began in the USA, and was started by a Russian named Nicholas Romanov. The idea behind Pose, very simply, is that you modify the traditionally taught running technique of driving the knee through. This causes you to land on the heel of the landing foot, with the foot out in front of the body's center of gravity. In the Pose method, you get taught to pull the ankle up using the hamstrings, and then lean forward so that you never land behind the foot. The end result of all this is that you reduce the loading rate on the knee - tests done at the Sports Science Institute showed that there is a reduced eccentric load of the knee using this technique, which in theory translates into improved performance. I also know that the technique is in the very early stages of being taught, particularly in this country. It has been used very tentatively to treat certain injuries - I know of one case of ITB and one of shinsplints where it was quite successful. however, in another, it failed to successfully treat an ITB problem. I think that the individual response to the technique varies quite widely - that is, because it is a new technique, some people learn it better than others. I remember that in the very first study of the technique, many of the athletes who were taught the technique began picking up calf muscle injuries, because they made very small errors in the technique. So, I would have to say that my impression is that it is not for everyone, and it will only work if you really practice it very hard and work at continuously. I think that in younger athletes it has more chance for success. So, all in all, I think it is a very promising technique, but should not just be done without correct technique, because a poor technique is probably worse than nothing at all. The website for the method is www.posetech.com, and you can place orders for books and videos here.

Hope this helps

1
Posted by: help | 2004/03/03

Thanks. it sure does.

Reply to help