Question
Posted by: Retha | 2007/03/12

new research on Atkins

Last week an article on research on the Atkins appeared in the Journal of American Medical Association. Among other, its says that the women on the Atkins diet, compared with others, had the most improvements in terms of cholesterol and blood pressure.

The authors say some people have worried that diets low in carbohydrates but high in total and saturated fat would cause cholesterol problems and increase the risk of heart disease, but that these concerns have not been substantiated in recent weight-loss diet trials, including the new research.

What is your opinion on this?

Dear Retha
I will check on PubMed for this article, but am pleased to hear that this positive result is being obtained. I suspect that the diet used was what I would call a 'modified' Atkins diet (i.e. all the protein is as low in fat and saturated fat as possible). One must keep in mind that weight loss per se will cause a drop in cholesterol and bp, and there is no doubt that a high-protein diet can cause weight loss, but other weight loss diets can also achieve the same result and are possibly more sustainable in the long-term.