Question
Posted by: Puppy Love | 2006/10/30

New puppy

We got our new puppy (Yorkie and ?) this weekend. The older dog (Maltese and Jack Russell cross - 1 and a half year old) is very confused! Before he would always come to me when I called, he was very protective and jealous of me. Now I have to go to him - although he doesn't run away. And he is scared of the new puppy. I know it is still very soon, but will the older one be allright? He is my baby, and it breaks my heart to see him like this! Confused and scared. Sometimes he will come to me, but if the new puppy is near me, he ignores me!

He should get used to the new pup soon but will need your reassurance. Spend time with him only and them with both of them. Sinc eyou handle the new comer you will now smell odd to your old dog.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/30

And give them all a chance to acclimatise - the weekend was only two days ago. Give them a break - and yourself. You're not doing yourself or your dogs any favours by 'breaking your heart' over something like this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: j | 2006/10/30

Your old baby will come around, he is not scared but more upset that there is an intrude in his space. It will go over, but remember give him the same attention as before and slow pull the other one into the circle. dont force it on you can do more damage to the relationship. You will found the older one to snap or growl or give way but dont scold just protect and they will be buddies.

Reply to j
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/10/30

He is not scared of the puppy. He doesn't like it and is avoiding it. Just ignore it, don't beg him for attention and everything will work out.

Reply to Acineth