Question
Posted by: Daisy | 2008/05/23

New Nanny pregnant?

Please assist.

My baby is 3.5 months old now. A month and a half back I employed a Nanny as I had to start working again. I am also sending her on a very expensive nanny course to make sure that my baby gets only the best care. Today she is working at my parents house, and forgot her uniform at my house. She looks VERY pregnant to me, but is trying to hide it by tying her jacket around her waist. I am a bit concerned. I know that I cannot discriminate against her because she is pregnant, and she also hasn't signed a contract yet, for no other reason that I couldn't yet find those booklet contracts you buy for Domestics at our CNA or PNA yet. I know her rights are just the same though, but what really troubles me is that she is pregnant, I will have a huge problem. It took me ages to find a suitable nanny for my baby, and because my baby has reflux I showed her everything that must be done for my last month of Mat leave. I cannot take another month off to train a new nanny. And the professional nanny training she goes on takes half a day every week from my annual leave as I have to stay home to look after the little one. I will have no leave left to train a new nanny, nor send her on the very expensive nanny training again. Under the circumstances I just cannot keep my current nanny if she goes on maternity leave in 3 months. Can I give her paid notice? And what if she works her notice period and hurts my little one in her last month???

I know she has millions of rights, but what are my rights as employer?

Thanks,
Daisy

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You can not discriminate against someone who is pregnant. if she had to go on maternity leave you do not have to pay anything and you might have to get someone to help while she is away.

1
Posted by: BS | 2009/01/08

Works 6 hours per week retiring 60 years old and can hardly walk.
She is on a Government Pension. Has worked for me 12 years.
Please advise what the law is to pay her for her services as a
casual worker for this time and the notice period to give her to retire, due to her health.

Reply to BS