Question
Posted by: Will try anything | 2006/11/13

New medical diet or another fad?

Has anyone heard of the new Lipolytic diet? I heard from a friend in CT that she has lost 20kgs on this injection she gets from a doctor. I asked her to find out more and she gave me the name of a doc in Jhb who offers it. Problem is its R850 for the consultation and they want cash! I can't afford to pay that for him to tell me its not for me, or to find out its just a re-run of some other rubbish idea.

How does this diet work, has anyone out there tried it, do you know if you can take this even if you have conditions like insulin resistance and high cholesterol?

Dear Will Try Anything
I am not acquainted with this Lipolytic diet, but I do know that the injections can be highly detrimental for health. One of my other Readers provided me with the following information on these injections: APL - Category A, 21.10 Trophic hormones.

PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTION:
Chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone of human pregnancy; it is secreted by the syncytiotrophoblast of foetal placenta as early as 7 days after ovulation, and it is absorbed into the blood in sufficient quantity to sustain luteal function and forestall the next menstrual period. The secretion of LH therefore remains suppressed because of the rising concentrations of oestrogen and progesterone (Lipsett and Ross, 1978).

Peak levels of serum HCG are reached between the eighth and twelfth weeks of gestation. Thereafter, the levels decline reaching a nadir in the second trimester where they remain until parturition.

The changes in the corpus luteum in early pregnancy reflect the intense luteotrophic stimulation provided by the LH-like action of chorionic gonadotropin.

In the pregnant woman HCG is placentotrophic, increasing the output of oestrogens and progestogens from the placenta. An adrenotrophic effect on the foetus has also been demonstrated.

In the male, A.P.L. (chorionic gonadotropin) is given in an attempt to stimulate the interstitial cells of the testes (cells of Leydig) to produce androgen. The response may be considered similar to the effect produced by the interstitial cell-stimulating hormone (ICSH) from the anterior lobe of the pituitary (anterior pituitary-like).

A.P.L. is likely to be of benefit in conditions directly related to insufficient secretion of androgen provided the interstitial cells of the testes are capable of stimulation.

A.P.L. (human chorionic gonadotropin) has no known effect on fat mobilization, appetite or sense of hunger or body fat distribution. HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity.

INDICATIONS:
In the female:
1. Infertility - Ovulation Induction:
A.P.L. is used in the induction of ovulation after the carefully monitored stimulation of follicular maturation with either human menopausal gonadotrophins (HMG) or clomiphene citrate.
In the male:
2. Cryptorchidism not due to anatomic obstruction. A.P.L. may also be used
(a) as a diagnostic aid to determine the need for surgery;
(b) pre-operatively, with a view to facilitating the procedure by increasing the size of the testes and the length of the cords.
(c) Postoperatively as an aid in preventing retraction of the testes.
3. In selected cases of male hypogonadism secondary to pituitary failure (delayed adolescence, hypogonodotropic eunuchoidism).
CONTRA-INDICATIONS:
Precocious puberty, prostatic carcinoma or other androgen dependent neoplasia, prior allergic reaction to chorionic gonadotropin.

Conditions in which fluid retention may be dangerous e.g. asthma, migraine, cardiac or renal disorders
This means that this type of injection is NOT intended for weight loss and can cause a great deal of harm. Rather lose weight sensibly with a balanced, energy-reduced diet and daily exercise.
Take care