Question
Posted by: K | 2004/11/23

New Kitty

My son convinced me to allow him to bring home a new kitty (8 weeks & male) on Saturday. So far the 3 foxies seem to have accepted him, we had him out on the grass and all they did was sniff him over and lose interest.

My problem however, is my spoilt neutered male cat who is about 18 months old. All he does is spit and swear and walk away.

Will they ever get used to each other and what can I do to help if anything?

Hi K
This is very normal and cats often take weeks or months to get to know each other. You could introduce them very gradually and only allow the kitten into one room at a time for at least the first two weeks. This way the older cat will smell his presence slowly spreading around the home. At the same time you could use a towel or soft brush to brush both cats so their scents mingle. Ideally you should introduce them with the kitten in a wire cage for 10 minutes a day, always giving the older cat lots of positive attention while you do this. You could try feeding them this way, giving the kitten its food in the cage and the cat his food outside the cage, but in the same room. Gradually they should get to know each other and you can open the cage with the older cat in the area, perhaps at feeding time. You can also try to play with them together, using a piece of string perhaps. Time and patience are important.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

4
Posted by: K | 2004/11/29

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Turns out that after 8 days they are the biggest buddies and my problem now if how to keep my new curtains whole.

They are hilarious to watch together as we have wooden floors nad the little one especially cannot get a grip and goes sliding all over.

Once again, thanks!

Reply to K
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/24

Ahh, the curtain thing. I sat guard waiting for mine to climb up the curtains. You have to make it unpleasant for them. So when my kittens started doing that I just chucked any old thing at them, mostly the min pin's soft toys. Gave them a fright a few times and they stopped altogether. Same with scratching the furniture, I have a leather lounge suite and I saw what cat can do to a couch, but a few toys against the butt got them to rather use a tree outside.

Have fun!!

Reply to Pi
Posted by: K | 2004/11/23

Thanks Pi

Now I am even more worried, I have just moved into a new house and spent a fortune on new curtains etc.

I can imagine what the two of them are going to get up to!

Reply to K
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/23

K, it will take time for him to accept the kitty. Leave him be, give him the attention that he always got and a few weeks down the line it will all be better. My male cat took about a week to stop spitting when I got a little female kitty. He figured out very quickly she's a very good playmate.

Reply to Pi