Question
Posted by: MISTAKE | 2008/01/23

NEW JOB HELL

I have joined a new department within the same company I have been working for the past 2 years. I joined the depart as a administrator but a few days before Christmas last year the info analyst resigned and now 2 days before she left i was given training on what she has been doing for the past approximately 5 years. its been 2 weeks and i feel like crap at work at home its just awful. everyone keeps saying that its a passing phase but it feels like an eternity i don’t know how to approach my boss because she said if i get the job right she will give me the info analyst post after 3 moths it would be good for me but i am drowning because i don’t have a source of reference with regards to the work and because of deadline i don’t have enough time to teach myself. I feel I am working had and not smart because I don’t have a clear understanding of the basics. HOW CAN I APPROACH THIS I AM VERY VERY SAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent comments from Q. This is the same company, so the senior staff ought to know you well enough already.
If you had just 2 days of training for something your predecessor had been doing for 5 years, its hardly surprising that you are finding it all a bit overwhelming at first. Relax and give yourself time to settle in. Your boss apparently had confidence in you --- talk it over with her, and ask for advice on ways to cope with this phase of the work. Ask for advice about how realistic the deadlines are ( they need to take into account your newness to this role ) and the need you feel for a source of reference. They MUSt know that they have puished you in at the deep end, and should be prepared to provide help and support to enable you to adapt more comfortably

2
Posted by: JJ | 2008/01/23

Hi, I know what u going through and I been there not long ago. I had this "if u do job well in 3 months then it will be yours" After two weeks of working hard with no results I decided if the job is mine it is definately mine. I worked as much as I could, relaxed my mind, ASK QUESTIONS especially to my boss to make him aware him too doesnt know so its not a sin if I dont know. Though it was hard but I refused to let it continue to make me have sleepless nights. I did my best. Note that when u are relaxed u are at your best. So my advice u can do as much the rest get your superiors to confirm/agree/advise. Never take any decision with approval,
Good Luck

Reply to JJ
Posted by: Q | 2008/01/23

First things first, take one step back and re-evaluate the job. Trust your training even if it seems not enough and then relax. Put priorities on all your work. If you get given a project make sure you get a priority from your boss. To get started and build confidance arrange a feedback session twice a week one to review the work and priorities and the second to get feedback on work completed and how it was done. You will find that in the beginning you will dred this meetings but as you gain experiance this will turn into a confidance booster. The aim of these meetings is as well to gain insight in what is expected of you and the standerd of work delivered. Relax now and know it will get better just get the swing of the bat and then clobber them!!!!!

Reply to Q