Question
Posted by: Cinds | 2005/06/14

New Hamster, need more info!!?

Hi, I have recently bought 2 hamsters. Is there a south african web sight dedicated to hamsters. I would like to find out what breed of hamster I have, there sleeping patterns, mating habits, pregnant preperation, ideal location and temperature, How much saw dust to put in the cage, play time and how often to handle them etc etc , just basically more information about them that will help me give them the best home I can. Thank you

I don't know of any specifically South African web site, but your can try veterinarypartner.com (USA) and hamstercare.org (UK). Hamsters are nocturnal, if you have the dwarf variety (Russian dwarf) - greyish with a dark stripe down the back - the South african line is much friendlier than the UK line, where they are prone to biting.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian