Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2008/06/06

New exercise

Hi- I recently started walking to work, it's a 15 min down hill there then a 20 min walk uphill going back home. I've also started doing 30 sit ups morning and 30 at night and 30 leg exercises morning and 30 at night. How long before I can expect to see results?

Hi Jackie

impossible to say, because it depends entirely on the person. There are all kinds of factors added to this - your diet, for example, your current weight, your previous training, etc. All of these factors influence the progress you'd expect from any training. That doesn't even touch on the numerous genetic factors that we don't even understand!

But, if you give this a few weeks, just to get over that initial tricky period where it's sometimes quite difficult, then you'll pretty quickly start seeing progress. My advice to you is to measure your progress not by weight loss, but by fitness. If you feel better doing those walks, or you can do them faster, then you're getting fitter, and that should be your main goal, because a fit person will naturally lose weight and get to the ideal level.

So focus on fitness, not fat loss, and you'll see progress by the end of June, with more after that!

Ross