Posted by: Megs | 2008/09/17

New dogs introduction

We currently have a small collie mix and a little maltese, they aren' t aggressive but the little maltese is rather scared of other dogs and therefore her first reaction is to growl! My mother' s boyfriend is moving down from JHB and bringing his malamute and husky along, they will need to stay with us for a while until they move into a new place and im wondering if anyone can give us a few tips on introduction and whats the best way to go about it?

My collie does become very jealous and protective when other dogs seek attention from me and then growls at the dog.

Please help.

Dear Megs

Let them all meeet and play on neutral territory for half a day before taking them home. Have a DAP diffuser plugged in when they all arrive at home.

Posted by: WR | 2008/09/18

Dog Appeasing Pheromone.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Megs | 2008/09/17

Thanks very much.

Um, excuse my ignorance but what is a DAP diffuser?

Reply to Megs
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/17

In addition to what the cybervet said, I' d strongly advise keeping the ' new'  dogs separately from your existing ones, unless you are around and paying close attention.

Reply to Chill