Question
Posted by: Annie | 2006/07/19

New Dog?

I have 4 cats. They tend to mark the house. I want to get a dog, but is it adviseable? Won't the cats feel threatened? Will they get use to a puppy in the house?

Most cats although they will be annoyed to begin with will accept a puppy and get on with it quite well. Unfortunately it may cause the cats to mark more though.

2
Posted by: Machel | 2006/07/21

Hi, we are considering getting a labradore (puppy) we are moving to a farm and need to get a "big" dog again. I have a son and his 4 years old, how is the behavior of a labradore towards children and will he be to overprotected of him (eg, he doesn't allow us to get close to our son) when playing ect. And what "kind" of dog do you suggest that is children friendly and "big". At the moment we have a jackrussel.

Ps: Sorry for the spelling!!

Reply to Machel
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/19

Yes the cats will get used to the puppy , but its going to tkae time and patience. And the cats will sulk and be ticked off with you but they will recover.

Just make sure that when you get the puppy it cant get to the cats , use a baby gate or something similiar. The cats will become curious enough and come and investigate in their own good time. Once the cats seem comfy with the puppy you can let them sniff (if they havent already done it through the gate.)

Everytime puppy is quite and peaceful around the cats reward him with treats , if he barks distract him with toys.

Reply to Carol