Question
Posted by: charl | 2005/07/24

new diebetic at 67 please advise on diet

My husband has just been diognosed with type 2 diebetes. I has totally turned our lifestyle around, in that he is unacostomed to eating food that comes from a diet sheet. Is there any way to make life easier, for both of us????
Charl

Dear Charl
I trust that you have been advised by a clinical dietitian? if not then please see one immediately because it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, as the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your husband's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. He should ask his doctor what type of exercise he is allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if the doctor gives permission. The fact that your husband is diabetic does not mean that he cannot lead a normal life and that you cannot cook normal foods, but he MUST get guidance from the dietitian on his portions sizes and when he should eat what foods. The dietitian will also help you during this adjustment period.