Question
Posted by: FIFI | 2008/01/21

New Diabetic

I recently was diagnosed with diabetes after a life insurance fasting test should my sugar level was 17.8. I was immeidately put on glucophage and given instructions to follow the low GI diet and increase my excercise etc. I have been doing all of this, but am scared to death. I also suffer with anxiety stress disorder and believe that stress can increase your sugar levels. I have proven this too, by testing my levels when I am feeling anxious - they are at least 2 points higher when I am stressed out! Most of my stress is work-related, but I need to work in order to survive financially. Then I begin the ridiculous cycle i.e. stressing over stressing and the sugar levels rise again. Is there anything I can take / eat or do to immediately help to stabilize my sugar levels in these situations? I really have no experience in this?

Dear Fifi
I am sorry to hear about your diabetes and very high stress levels. You need to do two things: a) Please for your own sake consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet prescription for you based on your highly individual requirements and your medication. Discuss the need for solutions when you are stressed. b) It is also essential that you consult a clinical psychologist (ask your gp to refer you) so that you can be taught so-called biofeedback therapy. With this type of therapy you will be taught how to control your stress levels and to stop exacerbating the situation. You urgently need the assistance of these experts so go for help.