Question
Posted by: Jolly | 2006/10/30

New Bullterrier Puppy crying all night

We got a new bullterrier puppy Saturday. She was born the 9th of Sept so she is just over 6 weeks old.

We kept her busy the whole of Saturday but when it came to bedtime she didn't want to sleep and she kept on being busy, so eventually we put her in the garage with her food and her blanket, but she kept on crying through the night so eventually Sunday morning 05h30 I got up to keep her busy.
the same thing happened last night. We do have an older bullterrier but I couldn't leave the puppy where he sleeps as we have an open swimming pool in that area.

What can I do to get her to sleep tonight? I feel like I am the parent of a new baby with this sleep deprivation we are having at present.

Your recent reply shows you've got this under control.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

Apart from anything else, it's quite possible your pup is OVERtired if you've been keeping her busy all day. Puppies sleep for HOURS every day, just like babies, and you shouldn't interfere with this. To give you an idea: mine would wake early but be fast asleep again by 8.30 am, until 12 or so, then be up and playing for an hour and a half, before going to sleep until 4.30. From 4.30 until about 8 was hyperactive time - very tiring for me! - but then she'd go to sleep again for the rest of the night, barring an enforced p-break before I went to bed. Try to establish her natural pattern, and then try not to disturb this - it will change as she gets a bit older, but you'll soon see what her requirements are.

I would also recommend crate training, if you have a pool she may fall into. If she's trained to be in her crate when you aren't around to supervise, this will soon become her safe haven, and she'll feel secure enough to go to sleep when you put her in it.

Do a Google search on "crate training" dog.

I heartily recommend it - it works like a charm, and the dog is both safe and happy.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: SUN | 2006/10/30

The first few nights without your mommy is very lonely and you feel very alone. Try a hot waterbottle covered in a blanket - it might feel like mommy's warm body. It will take a few nights and then puppy will settle down - I agree with Jenny - don't run for every whimper. Good luck!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: jenny | 2006/10/30

It is quiet an experience to have all your bothers and sister and then found yourself all alone. It maybe hot etc but it is the company. Dont spoin her now. but what i suggest is to give her a nice snack before bed. and put a soft toy or 2 and puff her bedding in little lumps that she feels that she is laying with her head on top of her brother or sisiter.like a mountain or few. some people say a clock, i have never tried this but must say a good snack that the tummy is full and the little eyes close. dont run for every wimper if she is not hungery or getting hurt then dont spoil. sometimes a soft radio playing can also help. all the best with some thoughts.

Reply to jenny