Question
Posted by: Laydee | 2006/07/17

New borns

My dog has recently given birth (2 days ago) to 7 adorable puppies. I experience the birth, and i immediately fell in love with all of them. Now, one of them has died, and I fear for the others. How do I handle the situation, so we don't loose any more. I want watch all of them grow. How do I contribute to their upbringing. What do puppies eat, how do i keep the mother from lying on top of them. I am so afraid, I keep on checking on them timeously, but now I am at work and there is nothing I can do.

People tell me that if a dog gives birth for the first time, then all the puppies die. How true is that, then they tell me the dog will somehow eat the puppies, is this true, if yes, how do i prevent it from happening. I once helped my aunt raise her murdered dog's puppies for two weeks and they were all doing well, till I left to go back to my place, then they all died.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, I will be delighted. I live in the township and I'd say people cant help much....

NB: do dogs drink milk?

There should be an animal charity near you that can help with all your questions. Briefly dogs do not always eat their first litter. Sometimes a dog may eat one puppy almost accidentally but to eat a whole litter is rare. Your dog will need more dog food now that she has had the pups (we usually recommend that they be fed about 3 times as much while they are feeding their puppies. Your local animal charity (SPCA, PDSA, Animal Welfare etc) will be able to help you with day-to-day care of the puppies.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/18

It is absolutely not true that the pups in a first litter all die. Sometimes one pup is weaker than the others, and cannot compete for food - that is how nature allows the fittest ones to survive.

It's important to make sure the mother is very well fed at this stage, if you buy food for her, get one made for puppies - it is more nutritious, while she is feeding her babies.

It is also important to help the mom dog feel safe, so make sure she has a place where she won't be disturbed, and where her puppies will be safe too. Of course she must be in a warm and dry place, preferably indoors, especially since it's winter. Clean her bed regularly, and put lots of newspaper underneath her blankets - newspaper is easy to keep clean and it also insulates well so will help to keep them all warm.

Watch the puppies, they should all be able to drink from the mother equally - if you see one that seems to lose out often, then you may like to get some puppy milk from the vet or the animal clinic, and feed it with a baby bottle, once or twice a day, until it has gained enough strength to get its fair share of milk from the mother.

Let us know how the pups do!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lin | 2006/07/17

You can gice the lactating mom some milk. Also feed her something like Vet's Choice supperior. (available at a vet)..she needs the extra nutrients. You can give her a puppy food too. She needs to have more food than usual.
Its very unlikely that she'll lie on one of the pups and smother it\
I's untrue that all the pups die from a 1st time mom.
U can take the pups to the vet to be assessed.
The puppies cn have a puppy food when they rach 6 weeks. Small pellets.

Reply to Lin