Question
Posted by: NewB | 2008/08/06

New Baby Parrot

Hi there, I am finally getting my new baby parrot at the end of Sep. He will be 6 weeks old. I am so excited and want to get everything ready before I get him so I can make sure he has a good start in his new family. However I only have experience in raising them from 2 months and up. Is there any1 that can give me lots of advise on feeding and so on? THX!

Dear NewB

Read my comment on the monkey question of 8/8/2008 for a link to a exotic specialist. Dont ignore the bit about the invoice.

7
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/08

I think a lamp of some description is going to be best .. google it and see what comes up .....

I havent a clue how many feathers he is going to have .. so do a search .. I know greys but ringnecks ..... clueless... the principle of feeding etc is the same .. but feathering at that age ????

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Newb | 2008/08/07

I am getting a Ringneck and at this point he is still an egg....lol.....do u think a warm water bottle will do the trick or maybe a heating pad, like the ones used in a snake cage? I also heard of an idea: 2x big plastic containers, 1x aquarium heater, fill the one container halfway with water, put the heater in and let the other container ontop of that one? do u think it will work?

Cpt is not one of the warmest places at the moment...lol....might be end next month...lol

Reply to Newb
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/07

What kind of parrot is he ??? that will gibe me an idea of how many feathers he has.

My Jardine will be the same size as a grey and at 7 weeks he is about 3/4 feathered. I have one of those oil heaters that you can adjust and thats what im using , but I also live in a warmer part of the country

Reply to Carol
Posted by: NewB | 2008/08/07

Thank you guys.....I am so excited....like a 5year old on Xmas....lol. Carol I am in the same boat, take him now or see him in the petshop. Think if I start work he has to with me. The last time i tried to rise a parrot was with my dad, he did most of the work though....lol....

What can I do about heat then?

Reply to NewB
Posted by: jax | 2008/08/06

- and no cotton wool either. It also gets eaten and can cause big blockages.
Enjoy!

Reply to jax
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/06

I have just gotten a 7 week old Black Winged Jardine , im not a fan of taking birds so early at all , but in this case it was take him now or watch him later sitting in a tiny cage on a pet shop floor eating sunflower seeds.

The first day I panicked a bit , but I have a good breeder friend who is a phone call away.

get the aviplus baby parrot porridge , I use sterilised water at the moment.

3 meals a day. Paddy likes his food warm and not to runny and wont eat from a metal spoon but only plastic .... he eats about 3/4 tsps at a time ...if you have a grey it will be about the same.

I use paper towels and dishcloths as bedding , dishcloths can be turfed in the washing machine.

Use a smallish box and give him a teddy to cuddle up too.

paddy started climbing out of his box on Monday .. so now he is on the bottom of his new cage with a curtain under newspaper and papertowels on top. Today he is trying to Perch.

Keep an eye on his poop .... light green with a little white and firmish is good .

Im enjoying this so much ... they grow daily its amazing .. we must try and keep in touch I think.

I prefer not to use shavings as they can eat them and then u cant keep an eye on the poop .... white papertowels are fine.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: hope it helps | 2008/08/06

You have to feed him with a modified teaspoon by bending the sides inwards so that the teaspoon looks like an open tube, you probably know that. You get a special formulated food from your pet shop which you mix with luke warm water.Handle him in between feedings so that he can get use to you. Use cotton wool in his cage so that he can get warm enough and some soft wooden chips. The breeder will also give you some advice. If you have internet there is lots of websites that will help you. Remember to weight him to see if he picks up weight

Reply to hope it helps