Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2007/03/23

NEW at this - AI, IVF extra?

Hi there. I was reading some of these posts which i find very helpful unfortunately i am very new to all of this and would like some help... My husband has also been told he has low sperm count and 10% chance of ever having children. I also thought it would be easy to have babies but now finding it a little hard. I would like to know what AI , IVF, FB all means if someone could help i would greatly appreciate your feedback. Are these things you can do at home or do you have to see a specialist or doctor for this?? Thanks again Mandy

Dear Mandy

AI and IVF are both acronyms used for fertility treatments. AI stands for artificial insemination, but this term has now been replaced by intra-uterine insemination (IUI). It involves collecting a semen sample from your partner, which is then subjected to laboratory cleaning and activation procedures. The healthy component of the sperm fraction is then inserted by means of a very fine catheter trans-vaginally into the uterus, this then increases the possibility of conception since the sperm are able to reach the oocyte (egg) far quicker and has an increased fertilisation capacity.

IVF stands for Invitro Fertilisation and is the process whereby a patients follicles are stimulated using ovulation induction agents, once they reach an optimal size they are extracted via a process called aspiration. Once extracted, the sperm (which has also been subjected to laboratory cleaning and activation procedures) is combined with the egg, to form an embryo. Once the embryos are ready they are inserted back into the patient.

FB could possibly stand for Fertiboost, which is a supplement.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/03/26

AI = Artificial Insemination also know as IUI or intra uterine insemination

IVF = In vitro fertilisation

FB = Fertiboost

You would need to see a fertility specialist for the first two procedures. Fertiboost is a homeopathic medicine go to google and you will find their website. They are based in Dbn.

You can also google the other procedures to find out more about them.

Reply to Dee