Question
Posted by: Catty | 2005/12/13

New Adult Cat

I need some tips on how to rehouse an adult cat. I am inheriting one today from a colleague at work who is moving and cannot take the cat with. (Alternative was SPCA). This is a female cat and has been spayed. I have an old male (neutered) and a young female cat (spayed). I'm not sure how to welcome the new cat into the family with the least amount of trauma for her. Any ideas are welcome.

Hi Catty

Sorry for only replying to you now. I suggest you put this new cat in a bedroom where she can get used to the new smells, etc. You could give her some rescue remedy to help her calm down. After a few days, you can move her to another room. Allow your cats to investigate the room she was in in order to get her smell. Continue moving her around. She will then get used to the house, but without any challenging issues with the other cats and visa versa.
After that, you could then put her in a cage and allow your cats to come near and smell. This will help with nobody getting hurt. After that, you can introduce them under supervision, but without interfearing too much. Make sure she has a easy exit into a room where she will feel comfortable and safe if it is needed.

Hope you are successful.

Candice
Animal Behaviourist

1
Posted by: Sheryl | 2005/12/14

Catty - see my post number 1366 - I had a similar
situation and was given some good advice - good luck
and well done for giving this cat a home.

Reply to Sheryl