Question
Posted by: CatLover | 2007/12/10

New addition to cat family

Dear Cybervet,

Thank you for providing this service!!

I have a female cat at home, castrated (don't know if this is the correct term). She is about 5 years old. Recently my brother's girlfriend, who is living with us, brought her male cat from her house to stay with us..permanently!! My cat (Mia) is really unhappy about this and she is fighting with the male cat whenever she sees him. My cat has to be kept inside my room at all times, because i am scared she might get hurt in the fight and the best thing is...the male cat doesn't want to leave her alone, even when she doesn't like him coming near her. He has also been castrated (maybe spayed - don't know what the correct terms is, sorry). I really need advice on how to get Mia to 'accept' him as part of the house now. I have been to my local vet and she told me that Mia would need time...but it has been about 3 months already. She hardly goes out anymore, I don't know if she is trying to avoid him or if she is scared.
Thank you for your response.

Regards,
CatLover

Male cats are castrated and females speyed or either gender could be termed neutered - you're on the right track!

There is a cat pheromone commercially sold as Feliway that is very effective in getting cats to relax and even accept other cats that are introduced into an existing household that has cats. The vapourizer appears to be a lot more effective thn the spray formulation and takes about 3 weeks be take effect. Plug it in where your cat spends most of her time. In the meantime reassure your cat and also try and make the new comer feel at home.

2
Posted by: Shadow | 2007/12/10

You're not doing your poor cat a favour - try to see it from her perspective. This is HER house and now there's an aggressive intruder and she has to hide from him in a room all day...
Castrated or not, male cats are dominating creatures. I would get rid of the housemate and her cat!

Reply to Shadow
Posted by: marianne | 2007/12/10

Morning Catlover..............read back on this forum about the Feliway gadget, it really works wonders in settling cats. Ask at your vet as well.they will be able to give you info. It is expensive, but worth every cent.

Reply to marianne