Question
Posted by: Lori | 2007/12/13

Neutering Kitty

Hi there,

I posted the enquiry on my kitty weeing on my stuff. From the responses I got, people asked if he was neutered. What does this have to do with him weeing on my things. If it is a bladder problem, wouldn't he wee everywhere - hasn't made a wee on anyone else's clothes.

When can we have hime neutered? How is it done? Is my kitty going to be in pain.

Neutering cats reduces the likelihood that he will spray or wee indoors as a result of an urge to mark territory. Neutering male cats entails the surgical removal of the testicles after which the surgical wounds are allowed to heal without being stitched closed. In amle dogs the procedure is similar except the surgical site is sutured closed. In female cats and dogs the ovaries and uterus is surgically removed (ovario-hysterectomy) and the surgical sites sutured closed. Some vets spey cats through the side of the abdomen but most do it from beneath the abdomen. Most practices give a couple pain killers to all animals being operated on.

1
Posted by: snoekels | 2007/12/18

6 months would be a good age to neuter him, before he starts learning horrible tomcat habits like spraying, roaming and fighting. tomcat pee also smells a lot worse than kitten pee or a neutered cat's pee.

male neutering is a really minor little snip, don't worry.

Reply to snoekels