Question
Posted by: Othello | 2004/12/22

Neutered tom cat marking everything

I have a neutered tom, about 8 yrs old and he marks everything, me included. He lifts his tail at walls, doors, any bag left on the floor, and on me if I have guests. Any suggestions as to how I can retrain him. His brother (same litter) does it occasionally and my spade female (3yrs old) Persian has started doing it too.

Hi Othello
This is territory-marking behaviour which gets out of control when cats are excited or anxious so try to work out what the cause is and remove it. You should ignore the spraying - it won't help to punish him anyway. Clean up when he is not there and use products that do not contain any strong-smelling chemicals. Plain water and diluted Sunlight soap are best, rinsing the area well and spraying with a pet odour remover such as Febreeze, Sannitree or Pet Odour Killer. You can also put plates of dry cat food in the areas where he sprays as cats rarely spray near their food.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST