Question
Posted by: Maria | 2007/04/19

Neurotherapy

Hi CS

Have you had any experience with neurotherapy? Do you have an opinion on it? A friend of mine who is an occupational therapist recently trained to use neurotherapy as well, and she says they get very good results treating a variety of conditions, including depression and ADHD. It is not meant to replace psychotherapy and medication, but rather complement those approaches.

Neurotherapy is, so far as I can see, yet another dubious invented "therapy" --- it is NOT accepted by any broad professional and expert consensus as of any real value, and there is NO body of good research shoing it to be effective. There is NO good evidence that it has the slightest value in ADHD and Depression. And I am bothered at the extent to which Occupational Therapists in SA seem so reluctant to provide basic Occupational Therapy, and are keen to make diagnoses ( which they are NOTn qualified or licensed to make ) and to treat conditions with therapies that are not established or properly within their province.