Question
Posted by: neuropathic pain in my foot | 2007/03/29

neuropathic pain in my foot

Orthopod says I have developed neuropathic pain in my foot after an ankle sprain.
What is it exactly?
What are my options to treat it? (I'm not fond of medicines as the side-effects affect me terribly).
Is there physio I can have? Increase certain intake of nutrients? Exercise? Or alternative medicine?
Does it ever get better?

Dear Neuropathic pain
see http://www.medicinenet.com/neuropathic_pain/article.htm
try vit B complex supplements. Trepilene ( an antidepressant), Tegretol ( an anti-epileptic) or sometimes help to "normalize" or suppress the abnormal pain signals. It may or may not get better - if the injury is older than 2 years, not likely.
Most neuropathic pain responds poorly to NSAIDS like Voltaren and opioid analgesics like codeiene. The mainstay of treatment are predominantly the tricyclic antidepressants (TCA's), the anticonvulsants and the systemic local anesthetics. Other pharmacological agents that have proven efficacious include cortisone, topical therapy with capciasin cream ( osteo Eze) , Memantine.

2

NO NOT A diabetic.

Reply to neuropathic pain in my foot
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/29

Are you a diabetic? Diabetics can have it. Its nerve damage.

Reply to anxious